The Fondbites Bake Along # 59 was Karachi Biscuits, which were new to me.... However, Mr. Hubby said it was famous in Hyderabad and every bakeries sold these biscuits.... Anyways, I gave it a try with few changes in the original ingredients.....
Now, on to my tweaked recipe:Ingredients:
Recipe Source: Fondbites
- Butter – 350 gms, softened
- Icing sugar – 1 1/2 cups
- All purpose flour – 3 cups
- Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Orange zest – grated from 1 whole orange
- Fresh orange juice – 1/4 cup
- Pure vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Tutti Fruiti – 100 gms, orange coloured
- Almonds – 1 cup, finely chopped
- Whisk together all-purpose flour, baking powder, zest of orange in a big bowl.
- Add tutti fruiti and chopped almonds and mix well using your hands until the flour mixture coats the tutti fruiti well. Keep aside.
- Add butter into the bowl of your electric beater and beat on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Add icing sugar to the butter.
- Beat on medium high speed for 5 minutes until the mixture becomes creamy, light and fluffy.
- Add pure vanilla extract and orange juice into the mixture and beat for about a minute on medium speed just until combined.
- Add the flour mixture all at once and beat on slow speed until the flour has been incorporated. Do not over beat.
- It is a soft and creamy dough.
- Transfer the dough onto a cling wrap paper and wrap it completely and freeze it for 2 hours or even over night to completely firm up.
- Shape the dough into a log which is approximately a cuboid so when you cut them down you will have square shaped cookies.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degree C. Line up your baking tray with butter paper. Cut the log using a sharp knife that is 1 cm thick each.
- Carefully transfer them onto your prepared baking tray. Space them one inches apart.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes until the bottom edges are light brown and the top is golden brown. Cool on wire rack to come down to room temperature.