Cream biscuits are never my stuff, then and now!! I never really liked them, though I still love plain biscuits!!! Some days, I really don't get time to make breakfast.... On such days, I would end up having biscuits for my breakfast, while the rest of the family members munch on breakfast cereals *winks*.... I prefer having my biscuits dipped in hot coffee or tea..... Same with cookies too.... Particularly, the butter cookies!! They are just irresistible!!
But my kids love cream biscuits, especially the Oreo cookies, Bourbon, Dream Cream and so on..... So when I saw Fondbites Bake Along #34 recipe for Orange Cream Biscuits, I knew I had to try it out..... And more so as this was my first biscuit baking..... I was skeptical if the kids would enjoy the orange flavor but luckily there was no fuss!
Ingredients:Recipe Source: Fondbites
For the Cookies
Unsalted butter - 115 gm
Caster sugar - 115 gm
Egg yolk - 1
Honey - 2 tsp
Orange zest - 2tsp
Maida - 150 gm
Vanilla custard powder - 25 gm
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
For the Cream
Unsalted butter - 40 gm
Icing sugar - 75 gm
Orange zest - 1 tsp
Orange juice - 1 tsp
Orange food color - 4 drops
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift together flour, custard powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add butter and caster sugar in a bowl and beat at medium high speed until the mixture is creamy, pale and fluffy.
- Add the orange zest, honey and yolk to the butter mixture and beat again on medium speed for about a couple of minutes until they are incorporated well.
- Next, add the sifted flour mixture and beat until the flour gets incorporated.
- It would be crumbly mass and using your hands knead to make it a soft dough.
- Take a lemon sized portion of the dough and roll it in your hands to make a smooth ball and then press to flatten it.
- Place them on a prepared baking tray leaving room between the cookies to spread while baking.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 18-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Remove the cookies from the wire rack and let it cool completely to room temperature.
- Add butter and icing sugar in a bowl and mix it well with a beater.
- Add the orange zest and orange juice. Beat well until the mixture is creamy and fluffy.
- Add the orange food color and mix well.
- Transfer the cream to a piping bag and to the half of the baked cookies, pipe the cream in the center. Take the other half cookies and place it on top of the cream.