Well, this cake wasn't planned... it just happened!! My kids kept on nagging me for another cake after the previous one and so just baked a simple one from my book, for the sake of it!!! This was actually a muffin recipe and since my kids don't like muffins, I converted it to a cake!
Recipe Source: Oops, sorry...don't remember!!
Plain flour - 1 1/2 cups
Whole wheat flour - 1/2 cup
Baking powder - 2 tsp
Salt - a pinch
Vanilla essence - 2 tsp
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Milk - 1 cup
Instant coffee powder - 2 tbsps
Egg - 1
Melted butter - 1/2 cup
Cocoa powder - 2 tsp
Olive oil - 2 tbsps
Water -1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Stir the cocoa with olive oil in a small bowl and add 1 tsp of water to make it into a paste. Keep aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, vanilla essence, sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Crack the egg into a medium sized bowl and add milk and coffee granules. Whisk for 2-3 mins till the coffee dissolves.
- Pour the coffee mixture into the flour-sugar mixture and add the melted butter.
- Stir until just combined. Take about half a cup of this and stir well with the cocoa mixture to get a thick chocolate batter.
- Pour the coffee batter into a prepared tin. Then add the chocolate batter over it.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until springy to touch. Cool in the tin for about 5 mins before putting the cake onto a wire rack to cool.