It's the season of jackfruit and you get to see lots of them in Kerala now. Last week, when I went home for a day, I brought back some jackfruits as my son loves them...... After everybody had their share, I had little left in the fridge and so decided to bake this Goan cake - Pansache Dhonas, which I had penned down from Raksha's Kitchen some months back. I would say this cake is definitely a healthy one as it uses no maida, sugar or butter.... The cake tasted quite different from the normal ones and it was indeed yummy!
Recipe Source: Raksha's Kitchen
Jackfruit pulp - 2 cups
Grated coconut - 1 cup
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Rava - 1 cup
Jaggery - 1 cup
Cardamom powder - 2 tsps
Cashewnuts, chopped - 10
Almonds, chopped - 5-10
Raisins - 10
- Roast rava till it is light brown or till the aroma wafts into the air. Keep aside. Let it cool for at least 20 mins.
- Remove the jackfruit seeds and put them into a mixer and make a pulp out of it.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add in the remaining ingredients. Beat well until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into a baking dish and bake the cake for 30 mins at 180C. Insert a knife in the center of the cake and if it comes out clean, it means the cake is done.
- Then heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a frying pan and fry the cake until lightly crisp on both the sides.
- Alternatively, bake the cake using the double boiler steamer method. Prepare the steamer and steam the cake for 20 mins. Once steamed, allow the cake to cool.