As usual... I am always late in wishing my readers..... Anyways...... Wishing all my lovely readers "A Very Happy New Year"...... Hope everybody had a blast!!! And any resolutions??? Unlike last year, I decided to stay away from making any resolutions this year.... Because resolutions are never fulfilled!!!
What better way to celebrate the New Year than with a colorful cake. And for that, I baked the Funfetti Cake, which is so colorful, kiddish, yet yummy!! I had planned to bake this cake last month for my son's birthday but somehow it didn't happen!!! Like they say certain things are destined to happen at the right time and maybe this was the right time!!!
Recipe Source: Sally's Baking Addiction
All purpose flour - 1 2/3 cup
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Granulated sugar - 3/4 cup
Light brown sugar - 1/4 cup
Unsalted butter, melted - 1/2 cup
Egg - 1 large
Yogurt - 1/4 cup
Milk - 3/4 cup
Vanilla essence - 1 tbsp
Sprinkles - 2/3 cup
- Preheat oven to 180 C/ 350F. Grease a 9" round or square baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Keep aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave.
- Whisk in the sugars vigorously with a hand whisk, getting out any brown sugar lumps. The mixture will be gritty.
- Whisk in egg, yogurt, milk and vanilla essence until combined.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.
- Slowly stir in the sprinkles, but do not overmix because the sprinkle will bleed their color.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
For the Pineapple Buttercream Frosting
Unsalted butter @ room temp - 1 cup
Icing sugar - 3-4 cups
Heavy cream/milk - 1/4 cup
Pineapple essence - 2 1/2 tsp
Salt - a pinch
- Beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric mixer. Beat for 3 mins until smooth and creamy.
- Add icing sugar, milk and pineapple essence with the mixer running.
- Increase to high speed and beat for 3 mins.
- Add more sugar if frosting is too thin or more milk if the mixture is too thick.
- Frost cooled cake as desired and top with sprinkles.