Ever since I started baking, one blog I follow and drool over is Deeba Rajpal's Passionate about Baking aka PAB...... She also writes for Times of India's online baking blog under the name The Rabid Baker. Though I had jotted down a few of her recipes, to this date haven't baked anything!! This recipe was adapted from her recipe for Whole wheat Apple Almond Tray Bake which appeared on The Rabid Baker. Since we don't like fresh fruits in our cake, I choose to leave the apple behind and thus ended up with this Whole wheat Almond Squares.
This recipe is worth a try, unlike my earlier wheat cake. Since it's made of wheat flour and ground almonds it tends to be more on the healthier side!
Recipe Adapted from: the Rabid Baker by Deeba Rajpal
Whole wheat flour - 140g
Ground almonds - 40g
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Butter @ room temp - 100g
Brown sugar - 100g
Castor sugar - 75g
Eggs - 2
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a square baking tin with parchment paper.
- Toss and stir the whole wheat flour, ground almonds, cinnamon powder, cardamom powder, baking powder, baking soda and a pinch of salt together in a medium bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- In a large bowl, place butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla essence. Beat them on high speed for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the dry ingredients.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared tin. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool completely before before slicing them into squares as it might be slightly fragile when warm.
- Serve as it is or drizzle some icing sugar or low-fat cream or with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.