Yes! It's that month when I have two most important people celebrating their birthdays on two consecutive days...I have my better-half celebrating his birthday today..... And this is the first time I am actually doing something on his birthday since I usually concentrated more on the next one..... So, I wanted to make him something special this year, (not the usual cake) and I landed upon one of the most creamylicious, yummylicious dessert-The Tiramisu-one of his favorite too!!!
Now, I have made a Tiramisu and a Tiramisu Cake some time back with sponge cakes but this is the first with Savoiardi...... Moreover, I needed a twist in the dessert, something different from the usual!! And so, I decided to make the Irish Cream Tiramisu by Nigella (one of my favorite baker)..... Nigella has never failed me when it comes to baking...... I tried her Devil's Food Cake last year (same day) and it was simply superb!
Irish Cream Tiramisu
Recipe Source: Nigella
Instant espresso powder - 9 tsps (dissolved in 350 ml of cool water)
Baileys - 250 ml
Savoiardi Biscuits - 400g
Eggs, large - 2
Caster Sugar - 75 g
Mascarpone Cheese - 500g
Cocoa powder - 2 1/2 tsp
- Mix coffee with 175 ml of Baileys in a bowl. Dip the savoiardi into this liquid. Let them soak on each side enough to become damp but not soggy.
- Line the bottom of a glass dish with a layer of the dipped biscuits.
- Separate the eggs and keep only one of the whites.
- Whisk the two yolks and sugar together until thick and a paler yellow. Fold in the remaining 75 ml of Baileys.
- Add mascarpone cheese to make a moussy mixture.
- Whisk the single egg white until thick and frothy. Fold the egg white into the mascarpone cheese mixture.
- Spread half of this mixture on top of the layer of biscuits.
- Repeat with another layer of soaked Savoiardi and then top with the remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Cover the dish with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to serve, dust cocoa powder on the top of the tiramisu with the help of a tea strainer.
Homemade Irish Cream
Recipe Source: Brown Eyed Baker
Irish whisky - 2 cups
Light/Heavy cream - 1 cup
Condensed Milk - 1 can
Chocolate Syrup - 2 tbsps
Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
Instant coffee - 1 tsp
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and puree on high speed for 30 seconds.
- Transfer mixture to an airtight container and store in the fridge.
- Shake well before using.
Sadly, I forgot to click a picture of the Irish cream. Maybe, next time!