Reposting my earlier post on Whole Wheat Garlic Pull-Apart Rolls for Aparna's We Knead to Bake Event.
Whole Wheat Garlic Pull-Apart Rolls
Recipe Source: Easycooking
Whole Wheat Flour/Atta - 1 cup
All-purpose Flour/Maida - 1 cup
Lukewarm water - 1 cup
Dry yeast - 1 tsp
Sugar - 2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Olive Oil - 2 tsp
For Garlic spread
Olive Oil - 2tbsp*
Garlic cloves - 4-5 finely chopped
Green chilly - 1 finely chopped
- Mix together warm water,sugar,salt and yeast and keep aside for 5-10 minutes to froth.
- In a bowl, add atta and maida. Pour in the yeast mixture along with olive oil, little at a time and knead the dough to form a smooth dough. (You may not require the entire quantity so add as required)
- Knead the dough for 5-7 minutes or till the dough becomes smooth and elastic. (Add flour a tsp or two if you feel the dough is too sticky).
- Coat the bowl with some olive oil and place the dough in it and smear oil around the dough.Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let the dough rise to double its size in a warm place for 45 - 60 mins.
- To make the garlic filling, mix together all the ingredients mentioned for the filling to a spreadable consistency and keep aside.
- Grease a loaf pan with some oil and keep aside.
- Punch down the dough and knead for 2-3 minutes. Divide the dough into two equal portions.
- Dust your work space with some flour and roll the dough into a rough rectangle, about half an inch thick. Smear half of the garlic spread. Roll the rectangle and cut into two and further into two more, so that you end up with four spirals. Place the rolls carefully into the greased pan.
- Repeat with the other half of the dough. Apply any remaining garlic spread on top of the dough and brush with some milk.
- Cover the loaf pan and allow the rolls to rise for 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C.
- Bake the rolls for 20-25 minutes or till the top portion of the dough becomes golden and the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Brush the top of the rolls with softened butter immediately after removing from the oven.
- Run a knife around the edges and immediately remove the rolls from the pan and cool on a wire rack.