Finally, the Red Wine Chocolate Cake.....This cake recipe was in my mind for sooo long and I wanted to bake it the very next minute I got the recipe, but somehow it got delayed due to some or other reasons....."Better late than never" and I am glad I baked it....I would say this was the best cake that I had ever baked and taste-wise--it was the best!! *smiles*...
I had a bottle of homemade wine which my Papa had given me for last Christmas (to soak the fruits for the Christmas cake)….The wine was a bit sweeter and so I used it for this cake…..The wine gave a rich flavour to the chocolate cake…In short, the cake was too delicious and it got even more better the next day, when all the flavors of the cake matured….
Recipe Source: The Pastry Affair
Butter - 1/2 cup (softened)
Light brown sugar - 3/4 cup
Granulated sugar - 1/3 cup
Egg, large - 1
Red wine - 1 cup
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
All-purpose flour - 1 1/4 cups
Cornstarch - 3 tbsp
Cocoa powder - 3/4 cup
Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Pre-heat oven to 165 C. Grease a bundt form pan or a loaf pan.
- Sieve together flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Reserve.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla essence and beat until smooth. Beat in the red wine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wine mixture slowly, mixing until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into the baking pan and bake for 50-60 mins.
- Allow to cool for 10 mins in the pan. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Transfer to a cake plate and dust some icing sugar and serve.
- The original recipe uses 1/4 cup plain yoghurt also. Since I didn't have yoghurt, I used 1 cup of red wine instead.
- The red wine I used is homemade and it was quite sweet. So, I skipped the granulated sugar. Taste your wine before adding the sugars.
- For those who don't prefer wine, you could use buttermilk instead.
- Lastly, though the cake uses wine, it can be equally consumed by kids too. (No probs with my kids...*winks*)