This halwa recipe was an experiment which me and my mom had done....*smiles* Arrow root or kuva podi (in Malayalam) is good for small kids. My kids don't like the kurukku made out of arrow root. So, my mom decided to make a halwa out of it!!! (What an idea mummyji!)....*smiles*
Arrow root powder - 2 1/2 cups
Jaggery/Sharkara - 1/2 kg
Coconut grated - 1/2 cup
Cardamom - 2-3 nos
Ghee - 2-3tbsps
Water - accordingly
- Mix the arrow root powder thoroughly in water so that no lumps are formed.
- Melt jaggery in a pan.
- Keep the above mixture on medium flame and stir. Then add the melted jaggery.
- Keep stirring the mixture till it turns to a gel form.
- Then add the grated coconut and stir well.
- Add crushed cardamoms and ghee to the mixture.
- Keep stirring the mixture till it leaves the sides of the pan.
- Serve hot or cold. Usually halwas taste good once it cools down.
I would label this recipe as a "tricky recipe" like the carrot halwa, for fussy and picky eaters.......*smiles*