All the baking I had done was mainly with chocolate. So, for a change I decided to bake a vanilla cake. But to my dismay, it was a big flop :-( There was nothing wrong in the cake, it tasted like any vanilla cake. Like all kids, even my kiddos like chocolate cakes. So, eventually me and JJ had to finish it off! Never ever would I bake a vanilla cake!!
Recipe Source: Good Housekeeping
Unsalted butter - 1/2 cup (at room temp)
Sugar - 1 1/4 cups
Egg - 1
All purpose flour - 1 3/4 cups
Custard powder - 1/2 cup
Salt - 1 tsp
Baking powder - 3 1/2 tsp
Milk - 1 1/4 cups
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C. Line and dust an 8" round cake tin.
- Whisk the butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and whisk till incorporated and fluffy
- Add in the remaining ingredients one by one and whisk together for 2 mins.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 55-60 mins or till done.
- Cool in the tin for 10 mins, remove and cool completely.